Setting up a Mac for iOS dev

The code for the hierarchy display was a mess so I’ve given it a rework. I now have an editor in C# with an embedded C++ DX11 interface. The hierarchy display shows entities and components used in the current scene and I’ve integrated bullet so I’ve got a working physics system. Feel like I’m making some progress now…

Just spent an evening getting my iMac hooked up again so I can start on the iOS implementation of the code. Apple have done a nice job of reworking the certificate/identifiers/devices/provisioning profile pish and it’s now usable. It took me about 30 mins tonight to clean out the Mac and rebuild everything from the ground up. Way better than the day that it used to take due to bugs and poor instructions!

So I can now build a test app on the iMac which is reading from the PC harddrive via a share. This allows me to use VS and avoid the nightmare that is XCode. I’ve installed synergy (http://synergy-foss.org) on both the PC and the Mac so the mac shares my keyboard and mouse so all I need to do is move the mouse over xcode and hit F5 to get a build onto the iPad… nice!

X360 was approved by Microsoft today so that’s one out of the way. PC, PS3, iOS and Android to go…

So, what’s been going on?

Spent the last week finalising a project at work. It’s almost done now so I can stop worrying about it. Android is sooo damn painful to finish and ship.

I’ve got a few things I’ve been working on at home; 1) Setting up a social networking site in a testbed 2) Getting up to speed with a friends website so I can help him with that and 3) working on my own game engine.

The game engine is my big target and I’ve made some progress building it as a Component/Entity system instead of my usual old-school setup. It hit a point this week where the data-driven nature of the engine started to help rather than hinder progress. Up until now I’ve been thinking that I might have bitten off a bit too much but this week it started to pay off.

Working to integrate Bullet now (http://bulletphysics.org). Have been using it in games for years but have never reached a stage where I’ve needed to have a serious physics system in one of my games. Got the basic integration up and running this evening so I hope to have a few entities bouncing around tomorrow.

Also discovered https://drive.google.com/ this week. Handy little cloud drive that’s easily accessible. Finally became comfortable with Git and also played with https://www.engineyard.com/ which is a very nice way to setup servers to allow testing of web environments.

ok, still not sure about this blogging malarkey but I’ll keep adding entries anyway. Toying with the idea of writing a blog on setting up DX11…